Wednesday, January 14, 2009

LoTR D&D style funny

I went to share a link with someone and their blog was gone, darn it. Well, so I'll share this with everyone. I'm a big fan of Lord of the Rings, having read the books about 20 times before there were even any rumors of the movie. I first read the series in the early 80's, my teen years. My big sister gave me her entire set. I cherish it; it holds a place of honor on the top shelf of my bookcase. So the movies were fun and I was glad Peter Jackson did such a great job on them, and now the movies occupy space on the top shelf as well. It's so very difficult to capture a book on film, and much had to be left out, after all, the books are just a small portion of an entire mythology compressed into a hefty book trilogy, and then to compress that into a movie trilogy, well, it could have been much worse. But it turned out quite well.

I digress. A few months ago, I stumbled across a brilliant comic parody of Dungeons and Dragons tabletop gaming, as demonstrated via the LOTR movies. I've never been a D&D player, but having played the computer version in Neverwinter Nights, and also Guild Wars, much of the comedy translates to the relationships, trials, and frustrations we share with and about our fellow computer gamers as well, and so makes for great comic relief. So here ya go - click.

Chicken breast is the meat of the day. I do love the versatility of chicken breast. I used to despise it as being the driest, toughest stuff only suited for mayonnaise-laden salad, and only liked dark meat. I had issues with it until I learned how to not overcook it, a very common mistake. Once I mastered the art of removing it from the heat soon enough, I fell in love with this delectable cut of poultry. Think I'll spice it up with a modification I've concocted based on Chef Paul's blackened redfish recipe. The spice mixture lends itself well to chicken breast. I like to charr it on the grill in the summertime, but my iron skillet will work just fine on this cold wintry day.

No comments: