Thursday, January 8, 2009

Cookbooks, Boortz and Macro Express

Wow that black cod was amazing. I do mean amazing. Creamy, delicate, tender, ooooh. So good. The whole family absolutely loved it - and that's unusual for baked fish. Thanks big time sis and hubby for that gift card. You were absolutely right - that was something we would not ordinarily do for ourselves. And that is something we won't ever have again, unless we suddenly come into some big money, as in lottery style. At $18.99 per pound, that was about 5-6 times the amount I'm willing to pay for meat!

Tonight I'm going to prepare something with boneless beef ribs I have in the spare fridge, haven't thought much yet what I'm going to do with that, and then I plan to cook the haddock on Friday.

Okay, after some hunting around I found this http://www.recipezaar.com/The-Best-Boneless-Ribs-179895. The sauce is similar to the recipe in the Better Homes and Garden (1996) cookbook in that it uses ketchup and chili sauce, and it uses brown sugar instead of molasses, but it has a few more ingredients, and I really like the sound of this cooking method - the triple cooking should really make these ribs tender. I don't have chili sauce on hand so I am going to have to substitute something. I'm thinking a mix of additional ketchup, cider vinegar and chili powder will be acceptable. I'll start these at about 1pm. I'm not skipping the final bake like some of the commenters posted. One person mentioned the thickening of the sauce in that final step, and that sounds like a good enough reason to do it, plus I've got the time, so .. yeah.

My old standby favorite cookbook, Fannie Farmer 12th ed., that I absolutely love for all its American culinary basics, did not have a recipe for boneless ribs. FF is rightly a big fan of bone-in cuts as the bone lends wonderful flavor to meats, so I usually have to turn elsewhere when cooking boneless meats, and that 'elsewhere' often is Better Homes and Gardens to start, and then if I don't find inspiration, the internet. All my other cookbooks hold a small handful of favorite recipes but don't get used for anything else.

I did a lot of experimental cooking when we first got married, and quickly learned which were hits and which were misses. I found my Joy of Cooking useless, by the way. The older and newer editions might be better, I don't know, but this 1975 version is hard to follow, has unusual measurements for recipes (many in quarts and pints), and has odd and unusual fare - not in a good way. Fannie Farmer is far better in every way.

And now just a minor note. Okay, I am a Neal Boortz fan and listen almost every morning before I switch over to Pandora. But he kinda goes off in left field occasionally and so I disagree sometimes. Today he mentioned a single father sent home from a pool because they have a rule of 1 to 1 supervision for children under age 8, and as the man had two children under age 8, they couldn't stay, and so Neal decided to say this is the government getting out of hand ... ? Mmmk. No, stuff like this is due to stupid people suing when they themselves didn't think in advance. If the pool wasn't afraid of getting sued by some parent that doesn't know how to watch their own kids, or a parent who is not capable of understanding their own human limitations in attempting to supervise swimming kids and brings more kids along than they can watch by themselves, and then sues the pool owner when something bad happens, they wouldn't need rules like that.

Moving on, I have to say that I am totally loving Macro Express. It's working like a charm. I had to adjust the mouse movement by 5 points, and that took care of the aim when a pull was successful (I had it set to move +20 and then -20, but that was too far off when an order came through - I was able to see it happen and then fixed it). Just during my lunch break it got an additional 16 orders for me while I sat on the couch eating leftover stew and watching the news - that is a whole day's worth of work I would have completely missed. This is freakin' awesome.

No comments: