Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Kindle Cover

If you have a Kindle and find the choices of purchased covers lackluster, for less than $10 and a couple days somewhat fussy work, I made my own Kindle cover. For those who aren't inclined to make their own, there's a diverse selection of handmade covers for sale on Etsy - which is where I found the inspiration for my own design. Overview:

1. Cut all the pages out of a used hardcover book
2. Construct the liner: sew four 45ยบ angled elastic strips to one side of a fabric rectangle, with at least 1" overlap allowed
3. Mount liner: Glue said rectangle to inside of (empty) book, wrapping & gluing edges around the front
4. Construct exterior: Sew edging or hemming tape onto a rectangular fabric cut to fit the outside of (empty) book
5. Mount exterior: Glue prepared rectangle to outside of (empty) book
6. Finish: Seal edges down with glue and hand stitch to finish

Pictures:


Used hardcovers books in various sizes can be found at our local used bookstore, Gardner's - there is a bargain shelf outdoors where you just drop a quarter in the slot for any book.

Remove all the pages with a box knife or such.

Cut strips of elastic with enough allowance to sew the rough edges under.

The fabric I bought as remnants at Hancocks. All the supplies together cost just over $8.00.

Here I've laid the elastic strips under the Kindle to figure out placement.

I marked the placement with plain white chalk.

A more distant view for explanation.

Here I've sewn the elastic in place and now I'm planning how I should place the lining on the book.

I decided to mark the edges with chalk so I could best keep the lining lined up properly while I glue it.

Chalk outline. Maybe I should read some murder mysteries. I used to love those as a teenager.

I used the basic tacky glue. It turned a bit lumpy with the satin, but actually when I bought the satin remnant, it was wrapped up so tightly I didn't know it was satin - I could just see the crepe back and thought I was getting a thick polyester that would hold up well to glue. The satin is pretty but it shows every lump.

Wrapped and glued around. Just a rough edge is all that's needed for the lining - this side will be covered shortly.

I decided to pull out the ol' t-square for the outside fabric. I chose upholstery fabric because I wanted that rough fabric feel of an old-fashioned hardcover book. Due to the the thickness though, I saw the corners would give me trouble and so decided the hemming tape would be the best choice for edge wrapping, and I should just cut the upholstery exactly to size - squared off - thus the t-square. (This is a relic from my college drafting days - yes we still used drafting boards back then)

Laying out the hemming tape to size.

At the top of this picture you can see I used a zig-zag stitch to attach the hemming tape.

Squaring off the last side.

Who else do you know that has a Tonka toy from their childhood on display with their sewing supplies? My mother has a picture of me with this toy when I was about 18 months old. I've loved this toy for many years.

Here I've glued the outside fabric in place.

The hemming tape has a little glue applied as I wrapped it and pinned it down. I let one side dry before doing the other to avoid getting stuck to the work surface. I also stitched around the inner edges for a better finish.


Reading = joy. The texture of the fabric is pleasant to the touch and allows a comfortable hold on the Kindle where it used to slide out of my grip.

No comments: