Friday, May 28, 2010

Concert at the Cain's

Five rows of people from the stage, smack dab in the middle of the crowd, surrounded by 20-somethings ... yes, I was at a concert Tuesday night and survived it. It was my daughter's first concert. An early birthday present.

We got the full concert experience - the two guys in front of us sharing a fat doobie, and a passing slob dropped a beer right behind us, soaking our jeans and shoes with watery beer. I expected all that, and had also prepared myself for barely tolerating the music and just counting down to the end. But I was pleasantly surprised.

It was Of Montreal, an indie group she discovered a couple years ago via Pandora and for which she has developed a definite liking. They performed at the historic Cain's Ballroom. And the opening band Noot d' Noot was actually pretty awesome - a funky hard soul/rock/jazz blend. I'm more of a rock & metal girl, and the headliner band is a little more techo/glam/campy stage show stuff. But it wasn't nearly as bad as I feared, being a non-fan going along just to chaperone.

So after three+ hours of being on my feet, I dragged us home and have been trying to catch up on my sleep ever since. I am so glad I've been doing a little exercise every morning for the past year or I think my back and legs would have given me fits. I stood my ground, didn't get stepped on, held our good viewing spot fairly well (there's always rude ones who cut to the front but they weren't squeezing right in front of me!) and kept up with the lite-mosh crowd.

First concert where I've stood in the pit since Ratt and Joan Jett way back in the late 80's. Yeah. (and although I prefer metal, I don't think I have the muscle to withstand the pit at a metal concert anymore lol)

No comments: