Saturday, August 8, 2009

The House on 20th

Today I get to see if my memories match the reality. I'm going to take a tour of my first childhood home, now up for sale. An excerpt from my memories journal:

"Restless Ribbon. Peoria Avenue once was a cruising strip for the teens in Tulsa. Years before I understood this time-honored ritual, I enjoyed the light show playing across the wall in the upstairs bedroom.

“'One, two, three, four, five, six, seven …' I would count the headlights as they travelled across the room, prompted by my elder sisters, until at last I fell asleep.

"The tall house at 1234 E. 20th was my home until I was four years old. Now the nickname for the street that ran aside our house is in a song."

So first I have to see if I'm really remembering that coincidentally sequential house number correctly, and then I have to see if there is a bedroom upstairs with double windows facing Peoria. It would be above the garage if so.

I am curious.

No comments: