Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Peroxide Mouthwash

So after my dentist noted that I had just the bare startings of a cavity (highly unusual for me), I began to wonder if my peroxide rinse is harmful. The dentist barely had to do anything to my teeth and told me they looked very clean, so that was good news and I attribute that to my new peroxide-rinse habit. I usually get bad tartar build up on the back side of my lower front teeth, and there wasn't much at all this time.

So I did search around wondering if I was harming my enamel, but I can't find any evidence of it being harmful to my teeth. However, there are certainly plenty of warnings about the dangers of ingesting peroxide. Teeth-harming substances are of course your typical sugar, but also some folks were using acids such as strawberries or lemon juice for teeth whitening, and they received plenty of warnings that those are very harmful, as once they strip away the outer layer, they keep eating away at your enamel and do irreparable damage to your teeth.

I did notice with interest one person said if the peroxide dries out your mouth to water it down more. I have had that problem a couple of times. So I'm not sure why I'm getting a cavity. Maybe it's from all those wonderful Valentine's chocolates I devoured. Hm.

I made Chicken Contadine last night, out of the Fannie Farmer cookbook. I loved it, and I think the boys did, but the girl didn't. Oh well. I wanted to have something slightly different, and was looking for something similar to a stew. This is a recipe heavy on the chopped onions, and then slowly simmered in vermouth, and that just sounded lovely. And it was. I served it with linguini, and of course a couple vegetable choices as well.

Tonight I am roasting a whole chicken in the oven, rubbed with oil and sprinkled with salt, pepper and rosemary, with a bit of onion, carrot and celery in the cavity as aromatics. Simple but delicious. And the leftover meat will go in the freezer for use in a casserole or such.

No comments: