Monday, July 7, 2008

Well, Duh

Sometimes I'll come across a statement that definitely states the obvious, and usually it seems to be for sarcasm and I will appreciate the dry humor and enjoy being led to a little witty thought courtesy of the author. But this one I think is one that was not used sarcastically, yet I found myself responding "Well, duh!" to it:

"The cult of the M.B.A. likes to believe that you can run organizations that do things that you don't understand. But often, you can't." - Joel Spolsky, "How Hard Could It Be?", Inc. magazine, July 2008, p 74

I remember years ago trying to figure out why the heck anyone would go into an MBA program - it sounded like such an utter waste of time.

Me: "What do you learn in a business program?"
School counselor: "Oh, general business administration, management."
Me: "Okay, but for what type of work? What do you learn to do?"
Counselor: (stumped) "Let's look over your career interest test again."
Me: (sigh)

The coursebook definition of anything to do with business was so vague. Yet I couldn't bring myself to pick just one career path, so, yes, I went with business. I still haven't learned to do anything, to create or build anything. And so I still feel like it was a complete waste of time and money.

Lesson learned.

... Oh.

No comments: