Thursday, May 15, 2008

Time

Today I accidentally typed "20087" in a data field for the current year, and upon noticing my error my brain went off on a short tangent fantasy about my descendants in the year 20,087, wondering if they would ponder their ancestry and what their ancient history might have held.

And then with a dizzying sensation I pondered my own ancestors - more the fact as an individual concept than a mere abstraction of the history of the human race in general. I really did have a living breathing female ancestor somewhere thousands of years ago, using her fingers for some task just as I use mine, using her mind, thinking, pondering, wondering.

For a split second I reeled as my brain wrestled with the personal awareness of vast spans of time.

Ah, the odd things that spring to mind, eh?

No comments: