Thursday, February 21, 2008

Communicating with Others

1. Former guild mates
2. Preteen daughters

1. Former guild mates

Last night while running around in Droknars Forge (a town in Guild Wars) with two others who came to the new guild, Hope, with me, we noticed a couple of our former guildmates, TOG members. We waved and such other friendly emotes, and I chatted a few lines in local chat. They didn't reply, but one of them danced.

It wasn't until a few minutes after we left out the town that I realized why they didn't reply - they probably didn't even know I said anything because most of our former guild mates run around with local chat turned off.

2. Preteen daughters

I don't think this one even needs any explanation. It's amazing how the words that come out of my mouth get twisted into some evil plot to control every detail of her life; this time it was about shopping for a simple reward for finding her umbrella.

Last week she was angry at the world (and me for not letting her borrow mine) that she had no earrings to wear for Valentines Day - she's lost more than 2 dozen pair - so I offered to buy her a set if she found her umbrella; today she brought me her umbrella, but then when I specified that her choices would be limited ... well, the resultant angry tirade all the way home coupled with throwing her umbrella jacket against the front window has lost her that reward, along with a few other things for tonight.

Was I really that paranoid when I was 12? Oh, yes, that's right. I was. But then again, I didn't have the nerve to yell and throw things. I just plotted my rebellion quietly.

She's grounded. But somehow I still think she's actually a better kid than I ever was. Something to do with being easier to read, more on the surface. Less devious.

Point of these two examples: Communicating with others often gets combobbulated. Yeah, I said combobbulated. You get the gist of it, right?

Or not.

No comments: