Thursday, June 28, 2012

Book Review - Cordelia's Honor

One of my gamer friends mentioned a sci-fi series he'd just finished as being fairly good, and so I took up the first book. Ugh it was awful. Too much sappy romance. Yuck.

Cordelia's Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold, this book just absolutely was awful with 'the lovely curl of her hair' references, 'check out his rear, oh he's not hard on the eyes,' ewww! If I wanted to read romance I'd go down that aisle.

Look, references to tragedy and love and desire are fine and great, but talking about wanting to lie in his arms... and matchmaking... Gawd. Puke.

The redeeming qualities of the heroine, promising at the start, were cut dead center by the entire middle of the book. She starts strong and decisive and becomes a simpering damsel in distress that doesn't pull her head our of her ass till the very end of the book, and even then the end of it ties up too neat and pretty. Not a book I would recommend, and I have no desire to continue the series.

I checked this book out from the library - a paperback. I've decided I strongly prefer using my e-reader. I have gotten spoiled to the accessibility of highlighting a word for the definition. Reading in bed is also much harder with a low-tech book - I can't enlarge the text so I have to wear my glasses.  I'm spoiled. I love my Kindle.

No comments: