Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Star Trek - the new movie

Oh yes, Star Trek was really good. When we first heard of it upcoming, we were skeptical, hoping it wouldn't be an utter departure from everything we all love about Star Trek. And then when I saw the trailer, I was intrigued but still very skeptical. And then when I heard the reviews were astoundingly good, I was even more wary, sure that if the reviewers loved it, that I would hate it.

But they pulled it off. It was a very well-planned and well-done movie in the Star Trek tradition (better than the old whale fiasco).

Chris Pine was uncannily able to emulate William Shatner's posture, head position, cocky half-smile, even the way he held his mouth often just screamed "Shatner." And not so much that it looked unnatural, but just like it was him. Not bad. Not bad at all. When I first saw him, I didn't see much of a resemblence, but as the movie went on he just seemed to become the Kirk we all grew up with. Funny.

Anyway, I'm really glad I got to see it. That was an awesome Mother's Day gift. That and I didn't have to cook - always a bonus.

No comments: