Friday, November 7, 2008

Our First Black President

I just have one thing to say about the presidential election - I hope this can be a positive force for race relations for people of all colors. I hope that blacks who previously harbored self-doubts will build themselves a better self-image now, and I hope prejudiced whites will let go of their silly qualms.

Quoting an MSNBC article, 'Michael Perry, 47, a librarian at the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, said he realized how much this election will impact the younger black generation when he was recently at a store with his 12-year-old sister.

“We were looking at magazines, and she didn’t care about Jay-Z; she didn’t care about P. Diddy. She went straight for one with Barack Obama and said, ‘There’s the next president.’

“And I was so proud.”'

But at the same time I wonder if I'm not being presumptous and patronizing by even mentioning it. But you know? I don't really care. I'm thinking it, it's on my mind, I want to say it. If this presidency accomplishes nothing else, I hope that at the very least it erases doubts in many people's minds.

No comments: